Cloud services cheaper and more reliable than on-prem
"Nick Ioannou, head of IT for the Ratcliffe Groves Partnership (RGP), told a crowd at Cloud and DevOps World 2016 that despite his company being a smaller sized business, by using a combination of 26 different cloud-based services, his company has IT power which means it can 'compete with the big boys'.
Ioannou said RGP's IT infrastructure is 80% based in the cloud, with a further 20% being backed up ‘on-prem'. He actively encourages employees to come and talk to him about new services and is generally happy to find budget to pay for it for everyone.
However, despite being an advocate of the cloud, Ioannou pointed out a plethora of issues which could arise from using cloud services. Fortunately, he said, all of these can be avoided by having multiple layers of fallbacks if one service should fail.”
• HP laptop batteries could pose a fire hazard
• London best place for women in tech, but lack of diversity remains
• No place for the old? Is software development a young person's game?
• Firms at risk from staff accepting random LinkedIn connection requests
• Who needs tech? British LinkedIn members want to work for retailers
• Google's five rules for human-friendly AI
• Cloud services cheaper and more reliable than on-prem
• New UK award hunts for cyber security's best – 'it’s about people not products'
• CESG issues challenge to information security professionals
• And finally…Escaped robots, 'electronic persons' and safety threats, oh my!