The state of IT: CIOs targeting hybrid cloud and packaged services
"Last week, EMC and VMware released a joint report titled The State of IT Transformation, examining the IT strategies of 660 global customers. The report focused on IT initiatives in hybrid cloud, standardised services and proper documentation.
Hybrid cloud was a top priority for respondents with more than 90% evaluating or testing proof of concept for a hybrid cloud deployment. Still, most hybrid cloud approaches are in the early stages and the evaluations lack formality, with 91% of respondents lacking an organised method to evaluate hybrid cloud. Additionally, only 3% had evaluated their applications to see if they would work well in a hybrid cloud environment.
The concept of hybrid cloud, or a mix of on-premises solutions with public and private cloud services, has been seeing tremendous growth in the enterprise. In late 2015, research firm MarketsandMarkets pegged hybrid cloud growth at a compound rate of 27%, putting its growth above the IT market as a whole.
Around the same time, research firm Gartner's Hype Cycle for hybrid cloud noted that, while it hasn't reached peak popularity, hybrid cloud could only be a few years out from mainstream adoption.”
• Employees 'care more about securing personal data than work data'
• The 2016 Budget: a full summary of what is and isn't in there for the tech industry
• Moving to open source databases can see savings of 90%
• Passwords are failing, security pros say
• VR will be a reality in the enterprise, but businesses should be wary of the hype
• National Cyber Security Centre to be UK authority on information security
• Business experience is key to IT success
• Majority of British IT companies invest in staff training and exams
• The state of IT: CIOs targeting hybrid cloud and packaged services
• And finally…Twitter turns 10: the 100 greatest tweets of all time