Results of NCC Members Question: Help identify a police suspect
Results of NCC Member's Question: Issued 20 March 2013
NCC Members can ask relevant questions of the wider NCC membership, moderated by NCC. We collate the responses, where appropriate anonymise them, then publish the results on the website for the benefit of the wider Membership. Can you help with this question from a serving police officer and NCC member?
“I am currently investigating a relatively basic theft. As part of our investigation we have managed to obtain a 12-digit government gateway card number for whom we believe the offender is. I am trying to find out if there is a way to turn this number into a name and address. (I appreciate data protection, etc and am not actually requesting that information, just if it’s possible to obtain it and how I would go about doing so). I would be grateful for any assistance.”
Number of responses: 4
Please note that these are responses from NCC Member organisations. NCC is not responsible for views expressed and does not recommend any particular supplier. NCC can provide respondent contact details should you wish to discuss further.
From a forensics investigation company
"You could issue a RIPA section 22 notice which would compel the data owner to release any identifying information around the Government Gateway ID. Only certain parties can submit a RIPA but this is typically the subject whom the data is about and/or a public investigations body."
From an emergency services body
"I would suggest that they go to one of the helpdesks for the scheme which I found on the internet (some pasted below). They should at least be able to point the requestor in the right direction.
- Change VAT Registration Details Phone 0845 010 8500.
- Child Trust Fund Phone 01274 646194.
- Construction Industry Scheme (CIS) Phone 0845 605 5999.
- Corporation Tax (CT) Phone 0845 605 5999.
- Duty Deferment Electronic Statements (DDES) Phone 0845 010 9000.
- electronic Binding Tariff Information (eBTI) Phone 0845 010 9000.
- Excise Movement Control System Phone 0845 605 5999.
- Import Control Systems (ICS) Phone 0845 010 9000.
- Machine Games Duty Phone 0845 010 9000.
- Machine Games Duty for Agents Phone 0845 010 9000.
- New Community Transit System (NCTS) Phone 01255 244709.
- New Export System (NES) Phone 0845 010 9000.
- Non VAT registered Agents Service Phone 0845 010 8500.
- PAYE for Employers Phone 0845 605 5999.
- Pension Schemes for Administrators Phone 0845 605 5999.
- Pension Schemes for Practitioners Phone 0845 605 5999.
- Rebated Oils Enquiry Service Phone 0845 010 9000.
- Secure Electronic Transfer Phone 01952 297 337.
- Self Assessment Phone 0845 605 5999.
- Stamp Taxes Phone 0845 605 5999.
- Submit VAT Returns Phone 0845 010 8500.
- Tied Oils Enquiry Service Phone 0845 010 9000.
- VAT EC Sales Lists Phone 0845 010 9000.
- VAT EU Refunds Phone 0845 010 8500.
- VAT for Government Departments and NHS Phone 0845 010 8500.
- VAT Registration Phone 0845 010 8500."
From an equipment rental specialist
"From this link it looks like you need the 12-digit code plus some of the individual’s details:
From a charity
"The police can check that using RIPA."